Alimony & Spousal Support
Collierville, Tennessee, Spousal Support Lawyer
Often one of the most contentious aspects of any divorce is the process of determining how much, if any, alimony a spouse receives. If you have questions about alimony, you need an experienced family law attorney to explain the law and your options.
Mitzi C. Johnson, Attorney at Law in Collierville, Tennessee, has more than 15 years of family law experience in Tennessee and Mississippi. To schedule an appointment with her, call 901.457.1209 or send her an e-mail today.
How Is Alimony Determined?
When the courts look at the possibility of alimony during divorce proceedings, they consider a variety of factors such as:
- Length of the marriage
- Age and health of both spouses
- Earning capacity of each spouse
- Income disparities
- Lifestyle to which both spouses are accustomed
In Tennessee, there are four different types of alimony. Depending on the circumstances of the dependent spouse, he or she may qualify for the following types of alimony:
- Transitional: Put in place for a limited period of time and is designed to allow the dependent spouse the opportunity to make a transition from a two-income household to a one-income household.
- Rehabilitative: Allows the dependent spouse to receive spousal support while completing the education or training needed to be self-sufficient.
- In Futuro: Issued to a dependent spouse who is unlikely to become self-sufficient due to health, age or other reasons.
- In Solido: Allows for a definite lump-sum amount to be paid all at once or in payments, generally in the nature of property division.
Mitzi C. Johnson works closely with clients to determine what, if any, alimony is appropriate for the situation. It is in your best interest to have an experienced attorney on your side to protect your rights regarding alimony. To discuss your needs with Mitzi C. Johnson, contact her today to schedule an appointment.